Tuesday 13 July 2021

Early WWII Wargaming

As a child my primary interest in wargaming centred around Normandy 1944 and the North African campaign, largely due to the Airfix and Matchbox figures that were available at the time. Over the years this interest has broadened into other periods, such as the SYW, ACW and mid-19thC Europe. Alongside these over the past five years or so, my interest has steadily grown in the early years of WWII, from the invasion of Poland through to Operation Barbarossa as a broad guide. My library of books on this 'period' has steadily grown too.

When I first started wargaming in 10mm, I bought plenty of 'toys' to allow me to game the invasion of France and Operation Barbarossa, but only ever completed the British, due to my gaming chums interest in the late War. Of late however my interest in early WWII has been re-kindled, to the point that I have dug out my 'toys' from the attic and have started basing and painting with the aim to game this 'period' in a meaningful way.

My initial thought is to have a core German force that is nominally based around the 2nd Panzer Division, as they fought in Poland, France, the Balkans and Russia, so a nice opportunity for a narrative to develop around each campaign. Late war they fought in Normandy which is useful but sadly not Italy, but with some artistic licence I'm sure they could make an appearance. Alongside the Germans I have the following Pendraken figures:

Norwegians
Well these have been ordered from Pendraken and I am using WWI Austrians as proxies as in 10mm and with the right paint job they should be close enough.

Belgians
I am using some WWII French as proxies and they are close enough for me once on the table. the Belgian armour is interesting but not the most exiting camo I'm afraid.

French
These are from there WWI range along side a nice mix of armour, which has some of the best camo schemes of the war!

British
These are complete bar some additional armour, so are good to go.

Italians
Complete.

Greeks
I use the British as proxies for these.

Germans
Really I've only just started on these, both infantry and AFV's, but the aim is to get enough together for some small actions soon. I do have Fallschirmjager that can be used to at a push.

Russians
I've just started basing these and forming up units to see what I have as I bought these years ago and can't remember my plans for them.

Polish
Still in their packs but I have a complete force for when it's their turn to be based etc.

In terms of the campaigns to be fought, the following are all on my list:

Khalkhin Gol (Nomonhan) 1939
A passing interest in this Russo-Japanese conflict that could make for a nice little campaign at some point in the future. The biggest issue is the lack of the Japanese tank used in this conflict, unless Pithead miniatures make one of I can find a 3D printed one. Not high on my list of priorities for sure.

Poland 1939
Very much high up on the list to game. A nice mix of units on offer to both sides, with armoured trains a bonus too.

Norway 1940
This has been on my radar for some time and last week I took the plunge and ordered some troops from Pendraken. Plenty of options with French and British involvement too. One issue is the snowy terrain for certain actions, but something that can easily be addressed I'm sure. Also I would love to have a Neubahrfahrzeug tank for the Germans, but will have to check Pithead or 3D print options.

France 1940
It goes without saying really, with so many options for campaign, given that I have Belgians, British and French to play with against the Germans. Also plenty of 'what if's?' to be explored, such as Phoney War invasions of Germany, or if the French airforce had bombed and strafed the Germans in the Ardennes. Also for something a bit left field, the Italian invasion of France towards the end of the campaign.

Operation Sealion
Need I say more?

The Balkans
I've gamed this on and off over the years, with the Littoral area being of most interest to me, with the Italians often having a tough time against the Greeks. I'm now leaning towards the latter stages when the Germans got involved, as it's not something I've gamed bfore, so could be fun.

Operation Barbarossa
Like France 1940, so many options it's hard to know where to start. I have all the toys so just need to paint the troops, as with most of the above! I'm also keen to learn more about the Finnish involvement in this, so need to search for some good books on the subject.

Western Desert
Rather low down on the list as I simply have no terrain for it, nor figures, so a complete start from scratch project. Due to the type of actions fought, I might go down the 6mm route for this to give a sense of the immense open desert that the battles were fought over. Very much low down on my list but would be nice to do some day.

So there we have it. I'm certainly not short of choices to keep me entertained as the nights draw in. Fortunately I have plenty of reading and reference material for the above, so quite easy to get inspiration for actions and/or campaigns, with the latter very much favoured. 

Hopefully I will be able to post some updates soon, but until then, stay safe and keep healthy.

10 comments:

  1. Nice new project and meaty too. I have never had a huge interest if the desert battles, but I think that may be down to an absence of terrain and believable battle mat. France ‘40 has a lot of material available for the wargamer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the battle mat. GW used to make one for their Gorka Morka game which wasn't too bad, but not ideal. If I do get round to this I will go down a DIY painted and textured fabric mat route. Plenty of other stuff to do first though!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting project proposal. Looking forward to seeing the directions you take this. I prefer the early war theaters too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. The early war I do find more of an interesting challenge, as you don't have uber powerful tanks, rather nice tankettes and mg armed ones instead:).

      Delete
  3. Wow...sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy with your little and often painting sessions Steve! Look forward to seeing some of the results on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly not going to be twiddling my thumbs looking for something to do, that's for sure! Hopefully some pics and a small action soon.

      Delete
  4. Impressive range you’re covering there Steve. I can only ask ‘wot no Finns?’ 😆

    I can see the Winter War would pose an additional terrain chalk, but those pointy hatted Soviets could also fight your Poles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Winter War is of interest but the biggest challenge is new terrain alongside existing storage issues. I am interested in the Finnish contribution to Operation Barbarossa, which could be fun, as the Finns did use great camo schemes:)

      Delete
    2. Meant to say “challenge” not chalk!

      Yeah you need a LOT of trees for the WW as well as the white cloth. I’ve not really looked at camo schemes. A right old mix of old AFVs for the Barbarossa period. You could even squeeze in a Hurricane as well as German and Soviet model planes.

      Delete
    3. I thought the chalk must be a typo! I think the nicer camo schemes came with the Continuation War, as of course white is pretty much all you need for the Winter War. Something to explore more that's for sure:)

      Delete