Friday 10 January 2020

Sweet Corn Fields

With the start of our ACW campaign drawing ever nearer, I've been busy making some more terrain that fits the period and theatre, namely sweet corn fields. I'd made some a year or so ago, using artifical grass samples from a local company. However I needed more so dug out what I had left and based them up in the same way as before. All I had to do was trim them to a similar height.

The only downside with 10mm is that it is a tad tricky to get terrain such as this looking right. In reality the sweet corn is spaced a foot or so apart, so has quite a linear look to it, which is easier to achieve visually in the larger scales. I've seen aquatic plants used instead of the artifical grass and can look pretty good. Anyway, this solution works for me and is very durable and once on the table looks fine IMHO.

These will be used for AWI, ACW and Eastern European games, whether at a skirmish level with Rebels & Patriots, or with BKCII, BBB etc. For the latter theatre, they will represent maize which is grown for animal fodder for the Winter.


A few of the fields together.



Pendraken AWI Militia give a sense of scale.


The height works well for me as I've seen sweet corn 7' - 8' tall.

Again Pendraken cavalry to help visualise the size of the fields.



I've enjoyed making these, but they do take some time, mainly due to glue, filler and paint etc drying. However the actual time for each process is quite short, so not too bad at all. It would be quicker in the Summer when I could probably get three of the processes done in one day.

7 comments:

  1. Very effective, I like the variation in the foliage colour as it dampens down any sort of vibrancy that can come with some of these products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The products with the dead grass in them look much better than the bright green monochromatic ones.

      Delete
  2. How exactly did you make these? ACW has many battles cornfields. I could something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned, they are samples of artificial grass that is used in gardens where real grass would not grow well, have too much footfall etc to keep it looking good. So I simply cut them to size, glued them to some 2mm mdf bases with contact adhesive, as I find this works best as the base of the grass sheet is very rough. You could use hot glue as well, but too cold here at present to use this option. When dry, I blend in the edges with ready mixed fine surface polyfilla (I think you call it spackle in the States?). When this is dry, I use my standard basing procedure of adding grit to the bases, then painting and finishing off with flock. Hope this helps?

      Delete
    2. Ok. Now, I think I got it. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. The corn fields look good. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete